“Bryan is an amazing thought partner and coach. He supported us through a complex systems change project, offering invaluable insights and practical tools for strategic problem analysis and action planning. His thoughtful and encouraging approach has made our endeavors more successful as we grapple with the long-haul work of enabling diverse stakeholders to collaborate and change interrelated practices for greater impact.”
Linda Dworak, Director of the Baltimore Workforce Funders Collaborative
“Bryan was a pleasure to work with. I found him to be a strategic thinker and a professional committed to system change as well as developing a system that would address the needs of most marginalized community members. His tireless and visionary leadership on solving complex problems is contagious and indispensable.”
Rassoul Dastmodz, PhD, President and CEO of PIVOT4Change Consulting
By the End of This Program,
You’ll Have Mastered:
MASTER THE PROBLEM
WITH COMPLEX PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS
- Get started (or refresh) your understanding of the problem with the fundamentals of complexity theory
- Move past the frustration of one-size-fits-all solutions by developing complex problem solving skills
The 7-STEP FRAMEWORK
- Never guess where to start when it comes to understanding a complex social problem – know exactly what to do and when to do it when you join Lasting Results For Complex Problems
- Go from just talking about the problem to understanding it – follow my step-by-step plan to structure the problem, model it, test it, and solve it.
CREATE AN INTERACTIVE MODEL OF THE PROBLEM
- Develop a model of the problem and calibrate it with stakeholder input and empirical research
- Run “what if” simulations to understand how different interventions change the system as a whole
- Get started problem modeling in as little as 20 minutes
DESIGN SYSTEMIC SOLUTIONS
- Say goodbye to fruitless group meetings that don’t result in a deeper understanding of the problem
- Learn processes that manage the problem over time by empowering local stakeholders to act in their best interest
Live office hours every week
- Sometimes you just need to ask the teacher a question. That’s why I host weekly Zoom calls only available to current students. Get your questions answered and learn from the questions of other students.
- Can’t wait for office hours? Schedule a private 1:1 call with Bryan. This exclusive, free consultation, is only available to current students.
Imagine the Possibilities
Here’s the list of what you’ll get if you pre-enroll during this limited time period:
What other students have asked before enrolling
The course is designed for anyone who wants to better understand complex social problems and how to effectively influence them.
Whether you’re a nonprofit leader, director or program officer at a foundation, corporate social responsibility officer, legislator or policy maker, government agency worker, educator or organizer, activist, or just a concerned citizen who wants to strengthen the community, this course is for you.
To ensure that each student’s needs and interests are met, each student will focus on one complex social problem of their choice for course activities.
This 7-week course is entirely online, but it features a hybrid learning model.
- Video lectures. Asynchronous and self-paced lectures. You can learn on-demand. Most students take about 7 weeks – you can choose to do it faster or slower.
- Assignments and activities. Learn by doing. You will complete a range of worksheets and tools tailored to your specific complex problem.
- Weekly office hours with Bryan and your cohort of students. These are synchronous video-based discussions with Bryan and your small cohort of peers. This is a great time to ask questions, learn from colleagues, and be part of the larger community discussion about complex problem solving. NOTE: If office hours don’t fit your schedule, you can meet 1:1 with Bryan to make sure all your questions get answered and you get the support you need.
Lasting Results For Complex Problems is self-paced. This means you can work on it for as many or few hours as your schedule allows.
Generally, students should plan to spend about 30 minutes watching the lessons each week, in addition to another 2-3 hours on course reading and activities. On this schedule, the course takes approximately 7 weeks to complete.
But guess what?
Once you start Lasting Results For Complex Problems, you won’t want to stop. You’ll find that the work energizes you. Once you build an interactive model of your problem, you’ll want to talk with peers and colleagues about it every day. You’ll be excited to start the next modules.
If anything, you’ll want to work ahead and start completing the course activities EARLY! That’s because the process is fun. You’ll find that with Lasting Results For Complex Problems you truly enjoy trying to learn more about the problem and how you can be successful.
Lasting Results For Complex Problems is about the roadmap needed to solve complex social problems.
It’s for people who are just getting started as well as veteran changemakers who feel that their work is stagnating, and want to quickly master the basics of understanding complex social problems.
If you’re not currently working on a complex social problem – don’t worry! Included in the program is a Square One module that will walk you through a sample problem.
Unless you’ve already solved your problem, Lasting Results For Complex Problems will be your indispensable guide for success.
Wait a second. You haven’t even started yet! Problem modeling can seem daunting, but it’s not. Lasting Results For Complex Problems has simple, easy to follow instructions for how to start.
In fact, at the beginning of problem modeling, you don’t use any software at all. Just pencil, paper and your mind. Most of modeling is thinking, and I know you can do that.
Once you get into the software, you’ll have super detailed step-by-step instructions to follow. You don’t have to create the perfect model instantly and that’s not really what it’s all about anyway.
One task at a time you’ll refine the model and start gaining insight. By following the modules and the doing course activities in order, you’ll gradually become a world-class complex problem solver.
I am totally convinced that Lasting Results For Complex Problems will help you become a master of complex problem solving. If you do all the modules and complete all course activities, then I promise you will gain essential knowledge, skills and abilities.
If you can show me that you’ve done all the coursework but don’t feel that it has been valuable to you, please reach out to me and I’ll give you a 100% refund.
All of Lasting Results For Complex Problems content is downloadable, meaning you can save the lessons onto your computer, so you will always have access to it. Anytime, anywhere.
Unlike simple problems and puzzles that can be solved, complex social problems have no unique “correct” answer. They are characterized by differing views amongst stakeholders of what the actual problem is and what would constitute a solution. In addition, they are themselves composed of constituent interrelated problems. Finally, learning about complex social problems is difficult because data about the problem is often missing or incomplete.
Here are some example issues that manifest complex social problems.
- Crime and policing
- Housing and homelessness
- Climate change
- Education and training
- Drugs and addiction
If your problem is complex, hard to understand or difficult to solve, Lasting Results For Complex Problems is the right tool for you.
The best time is now!
It would be great if you already had the exact skills needed to understand and take action on complex social problems – especially in today’s world. If you’re feeling pessimistic or worried about the uncertainty of the world right now, that’s entirely reasonable. I am here to support you.
But, our problems can’t wait! I don’t believe there’s ever been a better time for you to amp up your problem-solving skills. Everything is changing quickly, and there’s more pressure than ever to do more with less. More people than ever are looking online for quick-fix solutions that may work in the short-term, but don’t deliver sustainable results. Some people may even be unintentionally contributing to the problem they are trying to solve.
After implementing what you’ll learn inside of Lasting Results For Complex Problems, you’ll have the foundation – the right method and tools tailored to complex social problems – to build from. And you’ll have the confidence to lead.
Don’t wait another year or two – wondering what could have been – to get the skills you need to succeed.
Progress on the hardest and toughest-to-solve problems is possible. I want to make sure you have the right mindset and tools to succeed, proud of the insight you’ve generated, and proud of your community’s progress on what had previously seemed intractable.